Senior Design Engineer (mechanical)
Draken Europe are recruiting for a Senior Design Engineer (Mechanical) to support the design of mechanical parts, assemblies and systems and the compilation of associated documentation for the design of new components and/or modification of aerial platforms.
The successful candidate shall manage all design phases of technical projects and manage scheduling, estimating and completion of design data. They shall conduct engineering studies and investigations and prepare reports for the design office leadership and Project Managers. They will also provide engineering guidance to other departments, help to train new engineers and keep abreast of industry trends and issues.
Scope of role:
- Work with customers and suppliers and integrate with Marketing, sales and project management.
- Compilation of design and certification data.
- Providing working design solutions to technical problems with the minimum of supervision.
- Check Signatory for Mechanical drawings and certification reports.
- Generating design concepts and supporting the design engineers in the execution of the design and certification packages.
- Provide support to the PDE or SDE for design reviews.
- Supporting production and installation engineers in matters relating to projects.
This role is based at our Bournemouth International Airport site.
As a Senior Design Engineer (Mechanical) your key responsibilities will involve:
- Safety first. Operate at Special Mission in accordance with the SHE standards. Identify where the SHE Standards are applicable to appointed operations/tasks and apply safe systems of work identified.
- Apply countermeasures identified in applicable risk assessment to appointed operations/tasks.
- Ensure that the requisite design documentation, in the form of drawings and supporting documents, are compiled in accordance with Company Procedures and regulatory requirements with regards to the applicable regulatory and/or customer certification specifications. This list includes, but Is not limited to:
- Drawings, Service Bulletins, Test Plans/Reports, Concession/Prod Permit, ICA Data, Master Document List,
- Assist, and liaise with, the Compliance Verification Engineer throughout the design process on all design issues relating to airworthiness requirements.
- Support the HDO, PDE and SDE and the Project Manager and Project Team in the co-ordination, planning and control of the design data.
- Ensure all design documentation in the form of drawings and other supporting design data etc are complete and available to the Compliance Verification Engineer.
- Compile design and/or repair data as authorised by the HDO or DAwM.
- Independent checking of drawings and documents as authorised by the HDO or DAwM.
- Incorporate authorised changes/updates to design data as required.
- Maintain drawing and document registers.
- Support the Design Focal in design review meetings, ie PDR, CDR, FAI etc.
- Ensuring that tasks set are achieved to contract budget (time & cost).
- Regular liaison with internal/external manufacturing departments and suppliers to ensure any related issues are resolved and deadlines met.
- Work effectively as a key member in a team environment, liaising closely with in-house colleagues.
- Provide clear communication with Project Managers on the status of design programmes and ensure that problems impacting the design element are notified accordingly.
- Provide support to the Technical Illustrator for compilation of Technical Illustrations and associated aircraft related maintenance documents, ie AMM, CMM, IPL etc in accordance with Customer, Company &/or regulatory standards in support of Company design data.
- Assist the Design Focal to compile design data for PDR & CDR and other design reviews.
- As a Design Engineer (Mechanical) your Qualifications, Skills and Experience will ideally include:
- Degree or HND/HNC or OND/ONC in mechanical or aerospace engineering, or,
- Extensive years related industrial experience (this should be evidenced by the employment history on the applicant/job holder CV).
- Have a clear understanding of aircraft component and/or system design requirements, materials and manufacturing processes.
- CATIA proficient.
- Able to produce calculations in support of the design activity.
- A working knowledge of regulatory requirements, ie EASA, JAA, FAA is desirable.
Draken combines advanced technology with a diverse range of aircraft platforms and highly skilled people to deliver mission-critical global aviation solutions for government customers worldwide.
Our end-to-end capabilities include customised Operational Readiness Training, Aircraft MRO & Engineering, Specialised Helicopter Training as well as Search & Rescue and Surveillance services.
Our differences make us stronger. For example we need people from both commercial and military backgrounds to keep our services reliable yet challenging. In the same way we need people of different ethnicity, backgrounds, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious and non-religious beliefs. For no other reason than it makes our organization perform better.
It’s this diversity of perspective and talent that delivers our values and enables our success, as a diverse mix of voices leads to better discussions, decisions and outcomes for everyone.
We believe that diversity is bringing your own unique perspective to the conversations, inclusion is having a voice and engagement is having that voice heard.
Intolerance, which we condemn in any form, has no place in our Company, and we all have a responsibility to ensure that we treat each other fairly and with respect.
We want a culture where everyone who joins feels they have opportunities to succeed and grow, and operate in an environment where they can be authentic.
We are also an Armed Forces friendly organisation, and as part of our commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant, welcome applications from veterans and services spouses and partners who met the criteria in our job specifications.
In line with our Disability Confident Commitments, we provide reasonable adjustments to facilitate our interview process, please liaise with us if any reasonable adjustments are required.
Draken Europe employees must hold or be able to hold a minimum award of SC (Security Cleared), granted by the UK Security Vetting agency. Draken Europe will sponsor and guide employees through the vetting process with our internal security vetting experts.
- Job type